Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Now the Side of Hot Sauce


Did I mention I have a metric ton of habaneros staring at me every time I open my crisper? Seriously, I said 50, but I think that was WAY understating it. I used ten in the previous post, two in my homemade jerk sauce, and now 12 in this recipe and I still think I have 50 or so, and I pull about 4 or 5 off each day. Everyone should garden, it is quite a ride. (Psss... next year, I am going to plant a ghost chile plant, but don't tell my wife). So, for this sauce? 12 habaneros, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 a white onion, 1/2 cup chopped carrots, olive oil (about a Tbsp.; I don't measure that), 1/2 cup distilled vinegar and 1/4 cup lime juice. Saute the onions and garlic with the olive oil (see why you don't have to measure?) until soft. Throw in the carrots with enough water to almost cover, and bring that sucker to a boil. Once the carrots soften (my advice is to cut the carrots very tiny, or to use shredded so it won't take forever), boil out most of the liquid.


Pour into a blender with the cut up habaneros, blend it all up, add the lime juice and the vinegar, blend that, too, and then throw it back into your saute vessel to stew for about 5 minutes. Now, my customary warnings when cooking with hot shit: Don't create the pepper gas as I have done, open a window, and once again, gloves, wipe down and, for god's sake, sit down to pee. After that, can her up (usual canning rules apply) and get her sealed. This one is sweet and hot.





I call it Orange Death:


And here is a video of my two-year-old trying the sauce . . . very funny, indeed:



Just kidding; what type of father do you think I am?!

No comments:

Post a Comment